Wednesday, June 25, 2008

the southeast connecticut grinder

A grinder (also known as a sub, a sandwich, a hero, or a hoagie) is basically the best invention of mankind.

I returned to my homeland of SE Connecticut last weekend and I was excited at the prospect of consuming a grinder. Not a sub. A grinder. So on the last day we were there we stopped by the grinder shop we used to go to all the time when I was little and we went to the beach.

renaldi's one stop grinders

In retrospect I am terribly sad that I didn't get a photograph of the inside of Renaldi's One Stop Grinders, located at 588 Hartford-New London Tpke in Oakdale (my hometown). The inside of Renaldi's is hilarious. Its a tiny tiny little shack located next to the package store (same name, Renaldi's). At the register, I kid you not, they sell smoking paraphernalia. Only in Oakdale, guys. Only in Oakdale. The old glowing Pepsi menu with the list of their types of grinders is to the right of the register. Victoria and I order a turkey grinder and an italian grinder.

We made our way to the beach and decided to eat our grinders before we got sand all over them. What can I say. Grinders are somehow different then the subs here in Wisconsin. The bread is fluffier and despite that its always white bread its somehow very flavorful. Shredded lettuce, tomatoes, a little american cheese, and whatever kind of meat you decide to get. We opted for oil over mayo as we were going to the beach without a cooler. Basically grinders (and Renaldi's grinders in particular) are the best kind of sandwiches. In my opinion. So simple yet somehow completely delicious in everyway, shape, and form.

a grinder

1 comment:

  1. This keeps making me think of Adam Sandler singing:

    Hoagies and Grinders, Hoagies and Grinders
    Navy Beans Navy Beans, MEATLOAF SANDWICH

    SLOPPY JOE, SLOP-A-SLOPPY JOE, YEAH

    ReplyDelete